Sunday, July 26, 2015

I'm Here For You Uncle Sam


As a citizen of the United States of America it is my right to give my power to the government. It is also my right to take that power away from the government. We live in a democratic society in which we are governed by the people, for the people and of the people. Honest Abe, who's profile on our penny brings to mind the adage of 'a penny earned is a penny saved. Though in actuality, a penny earned is not a penny saved.

As America draws closer to our next presidential election, I advise you to take heed of the candidates words and actions, past and present so that you may discern their individual intent upon our nation. Remember, "This nation under God"? The nation where we all have liberty and freedom and the right to happiness.Yes, these are our rights as citizens of America. Those are the same freedoms that our elected representatives should uphold for their citizens through our constitution.

America is an amazing country but our country is not flawless in its laws. Some people take no heed to issues and merely wake, work, play, and sleep as our country runs itself. Not bucking the system isn't merely for the daydreamers, it is also for the American that has thrown their hands up in the air. Every once in awhile, the issue of taxes being illegally enforced makes its round amongst the internet media. Uproar does not last, however. Yet, we do not see that portion of our hard earned money before it is automatically rolled over into the abyss of the internal revenue system. Sadly, we don't even get a thank you letter from our great nation. I'm giving my money to Uncle Sam to fund things such as where the poop goes when an airplane is over Alaska and I am not even getting a thank you. Perhaps Sarah has been busy with the kids.

So yippee Skippy, let's work real hard and continue to pay our taxes. What an assault on our freedoms. While I agree that taxes have paid for and support many critical avenues, I find it wasteful to spend sixteen million dollars to aid students from Indonesia to get their master's degrees when I struggle to pay my child's tuition. But before I appear to harsh on our free liberties to pay taxes, allow me to share with you a butterfly dancing, unicorn enchanting place to spend our tax dollars - Grateful Dead tickets. But oh no, not for you. Our government decided that the University of California had to have the ability to digitize for prosperity sake, the Grateful Dead's tickets and concert memorabilia. While this might be a novel idea, there are better prospects I would have chosen for our government to spend my tax dollars on

A penny earned is not a penny saved. Our only responsibilities to our government is to vote, to register for the draft, to serve jury duty, and to obey the laws. Taxes are not mandated in our laws. Yet, the citizens of America must accept the relinquishing of the money we have labored for. You have the power and the ability to do as you please; and it pleases everyone to be directed unlawfully to pay taxes. I'm here for you Uncle Sam.



www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP8Ox9eztVA

1 comment:

  1. I'd venture to say that that adage is by Benjamin Franklin, probably in his Poor Richard's Almanack. Are you arguing here that Abraham Lincoln wasn't honest? Or are you using the image of Lincoln on the penny to represent government writ large?
    I also wonder about the "nation under god"--that's from the Pledge of Allegiance, when it was updated during the McCarthy 1950s.

    I'm very interesting in your point of view here. Are you saying most of America is the "faint of heart"? Doesn't funding also go to roads, education, our military service men and women, clean drinking water, the military industrial complex, etc. So what I'm saying here is that some of taxes are great, but other budgetary line items are more problematic? I have no problem, actually, with cultural icons the like Grateful Dead memorabilia being digitized. I think, though, that that is the issue with the arts--and we should be funding the arts. I also didn't have a problem with the Mapplethorpe exhibits in the 1980s. I have a much bigger problem with not taxing churches who get involved in politics, though.

    I would just be careful of tone here. Don't turn readers away by being too antagonistic to your readers...

    ReplyDelete